Tuesday, December 18, 2007

#9 Newsfeeds

As you can tell from my previous email, I wasn't too happy with the usability of Bloglines, since half of my feeds links did not work, and also the other half of the newsfeeds required a second party viewer for the feeds. So because of this I decided to take a look at the other feed search engines that were available, and post my thoughts on them.

Feedster: Feedster was currently unavailable because they are doing a new beta search.

Topix: Topix has a great feature that allows you to set your homepage to your neighborhood, and then filters in news stories that are relevant to your neighborhood. This could be a great tool for community libraries to keep their patrons and themselves in on the local news stories, or local goings-on. A very nice extra feature.

Syndic8: Seems pretty bare-bones, but also seems to have a lot of international feeds. This is an excellent resource, especially considerning the multicultural nature of Queens. I did a basic search for Ecuador and was delighted to find RSS feeds about travel, politics, news, etc, along with a tag to show which language the feed was in (English and Spanish were the two choices available for this particular search.) Excellente!

Now I have three more resources I can add to my lifelong learning toolbox!

No comments: