Tuesday, December 18, 2007

#8 RSS feeds

I have a limited knowledge of RSS feeds, having individually subscribed to news feeds through individual websites (including Rolling Stones), but Bloglines was something interesting and seemed like a great way to get all different kinds of news in one place. However, while playing around with it, I noticed that it still left a lot to be desired. None of the links in the Washington Post book review feed that I subscribed to worked, and some of the feeds that I subscribed to could not be viewed through Bloglines, and required a third-party software or news feed reader, something which is challenging to me because I own a Mac, and not a lot of software is compatible with my computer.

However, if they could get this to work, it would be a great tool for librarians. This is a great way to stay abreast of current events, as well as having book, movie and cd reviews from several different sources at your fingertips.

Another interesting feature on Bloglines is the ability to blog on different news feed "clips". This would be a great way to perhaps create a reader's advisory blog based on different book reviews or related to current news topics.

No comments: