Tuesday, December 18, 2007

#11 Una Cosa de Bibliotecas

For those of you who do not speak Spanish the title of this blog is "A Library Thing." I am one of those people, a la Party Girl who has most if not all of her collection cataloged and categorized at one point. However, since I have moved cross-country recently, I was forced to part with my large book and CD collection (the DVD collection is not so large, because I have a Netflix subscription, and a queue with 500 movies on it.

Library Thing excited me a lot. Maybe too much. Entering my books (and my husbands! I am a newlywed) was more fun than I bargained for, and the options to view how many other Library Thing members owned the same titles as me was pretty cool (Suze Orman is popular, Hungarian poetry, not so much for everyone else, but I still love it.)



The idea of sharing my list, as well as viewing the tags that others have created as well as my own is just entirely to much fun. I think this could be a great tool for reader's advisory. As an adult services librarian, I often get asked by patrons about what would be a "good" book for them to read, and this could be another way of answering these sorts of queries. Alls I know is that I will be emailing the Library Thing link to many, many friends, including my BFF La Cathy, whose house is furnished partly by Ikea and mostly by the towers and towers of books that will hopefully never topple over during one of her Los Angeles Earthquakes.

No comments: