Thursday, December 20, 2007

#15 Library 2.0

Reading the different blogposts on Library 2.0 was incredibly interesting. I decided to take a look at both the Annoyed Librarian's rant and also the much more PC answer to Annoyed Librarians post from Cool Librarian.

While Annoyed Librarian's post was amusing to read, I found the sarcasm a bit harsh. Annoyed Librarian raises several points, one of which I found the most relevant, that if we try all new technology before it has been tested, or if we are too willing to throw ourselves into every new thing that is created, then we run the risk of wasting money, time and resources on technology that won't work or that will prove ineffective.

I much preferred Cool Librarian's cool headed response. It is true, often, especially in the public library arena, that many of our patron's are not tech savvy, or that blogging might not be the most effective way to reach patrons. In my final year of graduate school I did an internship as a part-time reference librarian at a college in Miami. We had a blog (that no one ever read, ever), as well as an Ask-a-Librarian feature (that was also rarely if ever used), and I spent the day showing my students how to navigate the cumbersome OPAC and databases as well as showing them how to attach files to their email address. Most of our students preferred physical books, because they were frustrated by the databases and the e-book selection we had. And, our college president got a budget for Ipods and wanted us to download audiobook versions of the classics for literature classes as well as classical music for our music appreciation classes. Never mind that I was the only librarian in my library who owned or knew how to work an Ipod.

I think that as librarians it is our duty to stay abreast of new technologies, and always keep the user in mind. We can take the Library 2.0 statements or missions and apply them to our libraries in the most practical way.

No comments: